Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lets Not Quibble Over Definations

I've been making a lot of bags lately. Some might say I'm on a roll. Others might respond that I'm in a rut. Maybe, I'm rolling in a rut...or rutting in a roll. Oh crud, I just said rutting...rapidly retreating here...

Okay, the point is, I'VE BEEN MAKING A LOT OF BAGS LATELY.


This first one is for my mother. Its another variation on my Be Prepared Bag. I added the zig-zag pattern, and made it a bit smaller than usual. I'm pretty happy with it. There are certainly imperfections in the construction (it was my first attempt at zig-zags) but I hope to make another at some point. The fabric all came from my stash which was exciting as well. The blue with brown floral was a swap acquisition and the brown dot and blue swirl came from my scrap bag. I'm very cautious about letting my scraps get out of control (so messy), so I was very excited to find a perfect project to use some up!


This second one is a new pattern I'm working on. My friend Jessye wanted a tote after I showed her all the ones I've been making lately. She wanted hers to be longer than it was tall, however. I told her that could be arranged. As I was making this, it occured to me that its a more "grown up" bag design. I normally make my bags codex style because I intend to use them to carry books. This one's wider design is more suited to life beyond college (again as always, praise the lord above). Its a good size for a pair of high heels, a sack lunch, and a few other odds and ends. It makes me think of being in a city on the metro during the morning commute. In light of that, I wanted to name it The Working Girl's Bag, but then I thought some people might take that the wrong way. Therefore, in tribute to Dolly Parton in all her spangled, lipsticked and hairsprayed glory, I'm christening this The Nine to Five Bag. Bear it in good health Jess.


P.S. I have some more tweaking to do on this design (actually a lot) but sometime in the future, there may be another pattern. Pacify my inner control freak and all that jazz...you know...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh. I love the 2nd bag! Not that the first bag isn't nice, but I really like black apparently. Good job on both of them!

the 6 o'clock stitch said...

Both bags are beautiful...love the name of the 2nd. If you have any suggestions for the Spring Swap, post them at http://the6oclockstitch.blogspot.com/2009/03/time-for-spring-swap.html

fabriclover said...

I love my bag! And the other one too! I really think the black one is very chic also. Great job, you are definately on to something!!

Margaret said...

You are amazing!! When you are famous remember me.