Thursday, February 5, 2009

Stashing: The Dark Secret Under My Bed

Sew, Mama, Sew! is doing a feature on stashes this week. I love to look at pictures of other quilter's stashes (I'm a stash stalker) so I thought I would reciprocate and share my meager holdings.

What do you usually sew?

I almost exclusively sew quilts right now. Occasionally bags, but that's about it.

When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don’t have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?)

If I'm buying a bunch of coordinating pieces from a line, I buy half-yards. Single pieces of things that I like but don't have a particular plan for I buy either a half-yard or more often a full yard. Focus fabrics that I might build a quilt around I buy two yards.

Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need?

Usually I impulsively see something that I want and then try to decide how I would use it before I buy. I don't always have a plan, but I try to have some inkling of what I could use it for.

Are you a pre-washer? If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you’re ready to use it?

Rarely.

Do you iron it?

Always.

How do you store your fabric?

Right now I'm living in a dorm, so I've restricted my stash to one tub that fits under my bed. Sorting isn't so much an issue, but I do keep things neatly folded and in a stack and I try to keep projects grouped together.



Do you have any special folding techniques? How do you sort it?



See above. Because space is an issue, I just fold things how they fit. I try to keep things grouped by project, but that's about all the sorting a tub will allow.

What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash?

Buy stuff? Hah, no...just kidding. My stash isn't developed or well-rounded, so I can't offer too much insight. I just buy what I like. That's the best way to make sure you are happy and inspired in crafting! I am also doing a fat quarter swap here though. Join in...the more the merrier!!!

When do you say enough is enough?


When the bin is full, then its enough. I don't have room for more than that right now.

Do you have a current favorite print in your stash? Let’s see it!

Ah! Its torture trying to pick a favorite. I have so many! Right now, I think I'm most excited about these two though. I have some pieces of Erin Michael's Lush line (the deer, oh the deer) that I'm thrilled with. I also bought this completely frivolous piece of Alexander Henry pinup fabric. I think I'll use that in a tote bag.

















What’s your definition of the perfect stash?

I think the perfect stash is one that inspires you. I know that looking through my tub, refolding the fabrics and just looking at them always gets the creative juices going! No matter how big or how small your collection is, that should be its purpose.

2 comments:

ilovebabyquilts said...

I enjoyed your post! Good luck in your crafting endeavors.

Nicole said...

LOL. That's just how I started out with a small box under my bed at college not even as big as yours. The boxes kept adding up and up.