Thursday, February 19, 2009

I Don't Procrastinate, I Reschedule!

I've had procrastination on the brain recently. My sister was talking to me about it a while ago, and really, as a college student, procrastination is ever present. In fact, its practically a way of life. Over the last four years, I've pulled my fair share of all-nighters, I have almost never done my laundry before running out of clean underwear, and at this point in time, no, I haven't done my taxes yet (don't nag Mom, I'll get to it).

I used to think that this was a bad thing, and ok sometimes the laundry thing can prove problematic, but isn't some procrastination healthy? Couldn't you argue that procrastination by another name is flexibility? My point is, things change, priorities are fluid. If something isn't as pressing as something else, we schedule it for a later date when it is the top priority. Sometimes watching a TV show and helping my overstressed brain to chill is a higher priority than working on class readings. Some would call that procrastinating. I call it smart and healthy. I deal with my highest priorities first, and believe me, my mental health is numero uno.


So, I really just wanted to talk about procrastination, but since its a craft blog, lets provide some crafty examples. Yes, by all means, lets. Months ago I posted about some great new Heather Bailey Freshcut fabric that I had plans to make into a log cabin quilt. I just got around to cutting that yesterday, and I haven't even sewn the first stitch. Do I feel guilty about that? Actually a little, but priorities changed. Instead of making this quilt, I finished the quilts I was making as graduation gifts and I sewed several scrap quilts. I'm happy with that, and now I can get to this one!


And speaking of scrap quilts, here's a look at the scrappy snowball quilt I was making. It took me a week to do that last 45 minutes of work on it (procrastination/rescheduling at work), but now I have the top all done. I'm actually kinda meh about this one. It has a bit too much white for my tastes. I like more color in my quilts. I think I'll like it more when I get it quilted though. My very last remaining bits of these fabrics will be used for binding, so getting that extra bit of color in will really help I think.

The thing that I like best about it is that it reminds me of one of those optical illusion drawings. If you look at the quilt one way, I see the diamonds, and if I look at it the other way, I see squares with triangles in the corner. I stared at it for a realy long time. Yeah...I'm just that bizarre.


So what do you see? Diamonds or squares? The young beauty or the hag? Can you see them both at the same time? That's a sure way to go cross-eyed...